University City Historical Society

Preservation Updates

Worthy of Preservation

Nominations to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places


UCHS works with our members and sister organizations to protect our city's historic properties from demolition.

Several properties in West Philadelphia have been recently recommended for historic designation.

Nominations are carefully prepared by local preservationists, filled with informative details, and available for viewing online.

The Philadelphia Historical Commission is responsible for maintaining the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

The nomination process is described on the Commission's website.

Its meetings are free and open to the public.

4058 Chestnut Street of the Thomas H. Powers Development | Front elevations of 4058 and 4060 Chestnut, looking south. Photo by Kelly E. Wiles, from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

Powers Development: Semi-detached Twin

4058 Chestnut Street

Constructed between 1869-1872, one of eight houses surviving among ten properies listed on the National Register, added to the local register in January 2018; nominated by the University City Historical Society. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
3500–3510 Lancaster Avenue (West Philadelphia Friends Meeting-House (Hicksite) and Friends School) | Photo from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

West Philadelphia Friends Meeting-House (Hicksite) and Friends School

3500–3510 Lancaster Avenue

Currently the Community Education Center, added to the city's Register of Historic Places at the Philadelphia Historical Commission meeting in May 2017; researched and nominated by the University City Historical Society's Amy Lambert and George Poulin. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
435–441 N. 38th Street (Christ Methodist Episcopal Church) | Photo from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

Christ Methodist Episcopal Church

435–441 N. 38th Street

The 145-year-old Furness and Hewitt-designed church, currently Mt. Pleasant Primitive Baptist Church, was added to the local register in January 2017; nominated by UCHS Board member, Amy Lambert and architectural historian Michael J. Lewis. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
420–434 S. 42nd Street (The 420 Row) | Photo from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

The 420 Row

420–434 S. 42nd Street

The 420 Row is the first-built of Spruce Hill’s earliest real estate developments in the Queen Anne style. A group of eight c. 1885 Queen Anne dwellings were recommended by the Committee in December 2016; nominated by Justin McDaniel, a resident of the block. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
3827–33 Powelton Avenue (Pennsylvania Industrial Home for Blind Women) | Photo from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

Pennsylvania Industrial Home for Blind Women

3827–33 Powelton Avenue

Built in 1880, the Pennsylvania Industrial Home for Blind Women was nominated by the staff of the Historical Commission and was recommended by the Committee in December 2016. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
West Philadelphia Institute Building at 40th & Market, 2012 | Photo from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

The Former West Philadelphia Institute

22–26 S. 40th Street

Building attributed to Furness, dates from the time of the Centennial, and has been extensively altered over the years, was recommended by the Committee in December 2016 by a 2-to-1 vote; nominated by Benjamin Leech of the Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
4054 Chestnut (Thomas H. Powers Development) | Photo from Nomination to the Philadelphia Register of Historic Places.

Powers Development: Semi-detached Twin

4054 Chestnut

UCHS has been trying to save this and other houses from demolition on the 4000 block of Chestnut. Photo from nomination. An attempt to remove 4054 Chestnut from the local register was defeated at the December 2016 meeting (it was added in July).

view nomination
3600 block of Lancaster Avenue | Photo by Joseph Minardi

Lancaster Mews

3600–3630 Lancaster Avenue

A row of three-story Italianate rowhouses constructed between the late 1860s and the early 1880s; added to local register in October 2015, nominated by the staff of the Historical Commission. Photo from nomination.

view nomination
4300–02 and 4304–06 Osage Avenue | Photo by Oscar Biesert

Satterlee Heights Development

4300–02 and 4304–06 Osage Avenue

French Second Empire style twin houses built in the 1870s on the site of the Satterlee Hospital that cared for wounded Civil War soldiers; last intact block from the Satterlee Heights development; added to local register in October 2015, nominated by Oscar Biesert. Photo from nomination..

view nomination
top ↑