A
HISTORY
OF
PHILADELPHIA'S
UNIVERSITY CITY
BY

LEON S. ROSENTHAL
Esquire

COPYRIGHT 1963

Produced by the
Printing Office of the University of Pennsylvania for

THE WEST PHILADELPHIA CORPORATION
PHILADELPHIA, PA.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS CARD NUMBER 63-23435

"Nothing is Final so long as it Lasts,
Nothing is Certain but Change."

"Time's End"

IVOR GRIFFITH
President

PHILADELPHIA COLLEGE
OF PHARMACY AND SCIENCE, 1941-61


Table of Contents

Preface

Part One
The Area
A New Name for an Old Settlement

Part Two
Hamilton Village
A Family Affair

Part Three
Blockley
The Memory Lingers On

Part Four
Mantua
The Real Estate Promotion That Grew and Grew

Part Five
Greenville
A Gay Old Town That Disappeared

Part Six
Powelton Village
The Town That Never Was

Part Seven
West Philadelphia
The Genesis of "The City Across The River"

Part Eight
Kingsessing and Maylandville
A Mill Town Divided

Part Nine
The Corporation
A New Concept for Old Neighbors


Originally published in 1963.
Reprinted with permission of the
West Philadelphia Partnership


go to University City Historical Society homepage